Friday, February 3, 2012

Codependency in Music form

Hi, everybody. I don't know if you've heard this song, which sounds like pure joy. You should listen to it, and smile, but simultaneously mourn for this individual, because this girl treats him like crap and he loves her still. We've all struggled with such things at some point, right?* You can find my own personal example here.



I love it. So often, I have felt exactly like this. (and by this I mean toxic relationship attitudes disguised quite believably as happiness.)

Story for why I have been thinking about it. On Tuesday my boss sang "Someone like you" at me every chance he got so it would stay in my head and annoy me, cause he tries to be obnoxious like that. And by the end of the night, I was singing this back really loud, and we sounded dissonant and bad in a kind of cringe-worthy  music war using songs about unhealthy relationship attitudes.

Yep. We are five years old.

* I guess not everybody has felt like that. The subject came up once with my mother and went something like this:
"You've never loved somebody who was bad for you, mom?"
"No. If they were bad for me I didn't put up with it."

Oh, momma. If only such emotional clarity was genetic. What do you all think about loving things that are bad for you? Does everybody do it? Or was it just me? If anybody wants to chime in, that question was sincere and not rhetorical. Cause I am curious for reals.

Merry Valentine's month, internet.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, don't worry, you're not alone. I have a STORY for you once we have some time together; like our next 2am trip to Logan and back.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for validating my existence, you lovely person!